EPIA success and problem

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Tue May 6 11:52:01 CEST 2003

> > > It now boots into GRUB in less than 2 seconds. :)
> > > (It's too fast for IDE drive to spin up, so I have to hit reset
> > > button after cold start.)
> >
> > hmm, in rombios.c, can you try increasing ATA_WAIT_COUNT by magnitude or
> > two and see if it helps?
>
> You need to put in the code to spin on the busy bit.
>
> See the ehterboot source for an example.
>
> Except on out of spec hardware that always works, and making
> certain the busy bit is cleared before using a drive
> is required for correct operation in all cases.

I think that this code is already there.

It just that this spin has an time-out option, just so that it won't hang
for some weird reason. ATA_WAIT_COUNT should increase this timeout.

Still thanks for pointer to etherboot. I'll check it out, it might give me
better ideas how to do it :-)

--
Adam Sulmicki
http://www.eax.com 	The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers