Passes RAM test, but hangs at jumping to RAM

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu May 15 09:51:00 CEST 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003, SONE Takeshi wrote:

> What could be a problem when it passes RAM test but hangs
> immediately after jumping to RAM?
>
> I'm developing a new raminit code and
> this happens only with a particular installation of DIMM.
> DIMM itself is not bad, it works when move to another slot,
> or another slot is filled with another DIMM.
> Award BIOS runs just fine with this DIMM installation.

Every time I've seen this it is either drive strength settings or timing
(esp. on the 8601, it is VERY sensitive to buffer strength).

You really need to dump the northbridge and make sure you know exactly,
for each setting, why award set it one way and why linuxbios set it the
same way or differently. This is very tedious but it is your only choice.
With the 8601 I saw one case where all the bits except one were correct on
a data read. It only takes on wrong bit, however, to wreak havoc.

ron