debugger

jarcher jarcher at pobox.com
Thu May 15 12:46:01 CEST 2003

To add to Ron's message.

It varies a lot with your experience and how dirty you want to get.

A simple POST card and a lot of creative POST code bread crumbs is the
cheap and dirty way to go, until you get the serial port debugger up and
running.  But it requires you to be really creative in crawling through the
code.  And takes a lot of time.

But you can move up the a logic analyzer looking at bus cycles or an ICE
(in circuit emulator) looking at CPU activity  These two are expensive
(lots of $10K), but you can often rent them.  Setup is usually the time
burner here.  But with a LA you can take selective pictures of events
chained together in time.  I don't know if SIS has an ICE for their SOC
products.

Jordan

PS: Has anyone done a USB interface low level debugger?  Early BIOS or at
least just prior to payload decompress.