Newbie questions: Linuxbios on Geode GX1

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Mon May 19 19:49:01 CEST 2003

Joep Jansen wrote:

> How can I safely flash a new BIOS?

> I have a BIOS ROM image file, and the Phoenix Phlash utility which
> allows to restore and update the BIOS. I understand the flash has a boot
> block which is able to restore a corrupted BIOS. I don't know whether
> the boot block is protected from erasing and / or reprogramming. I do
> know that it needs a specialy wired "key" in the serial port to enable
> reprogramming.

The AMF040B does not have any special board level access to protection
of sectors.  It does allow protection/unprotection of any of the 8 64k
sectors present but you have to raise A9 and the other control pins up
to Vid which is a minimum of 10.5 volts.

Seems doubtfull they would have some setup to do hardware
protection/unprotection but if they set up some sort of protected boot
block then they would have to protect the whole 64k in the address boot
range.  Which would make it kind of difficult to update things.

Where does a geode GX1 boot from? Is it x86 compatible?

The data sheet for the AMF040b are available on the web if you google
for them.  The info in there should help you figure out what (if any)
sectors have be hardware locked.

> Another question:
> How do I configure linuxbios to boot a linux kernel from the Compact
> Flash card?
> Do I need a specific "payload" program in addition to linuxbios?

When you get linuxbios loading from phoenix let me know and I'll send
you my FAQ/HOWTO which should get you started this.

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com