Newbie questions: Linuxbios on Geode GX1

Joep Jansen joep at frog.nl
Tue May 20 10:31:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich wrote:

> we have experience with similar situations. You have to convert the
> linuxbios romimage into a phoenix romimage. I don't think that is too hard
> but it does require detective work.
>
> Have a look at the old PHLASH stuff for the l440gx

Thanks Ron!
I had a look, but I don't understand what these strange*.bi? files are and
where they come from? I guess they must be on some Intel Phlash disk. I don't
have that.

I have a Phoenix Phlash disk; it contains:
* phlash.exe
* bios.rom
* platform.bin
* minidos.sys
* crisdisk.bat
* makeboot.exe
* wincris.exe
* wincris.hlp

The BIOS.ROM is a generic bios; I replaced it with the specific BIOS for my
ETX Geode
board. The "crisdisk.bat" command creates a standalone recovery floppy.

So I think I need to replace the Phoenix BIOS.ROM file by a linuxbios.rom
and use the PHLASH program to burn that.

But I guess the PHLASH program will check somehow whether the BIOS.ROM is a
genuine Phoenix BIOS ROM image, and will refuse to burn something else.

Am I correct? How can I convince the PHLASH program that it should flash
LinuxBios?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards,

Joep

Frog Navigation Systems B.V.                mail to: joep at frog.nl
Krommewetering 21                           URL: http://www.frog.nl
3543AP UTRECHT                              Tel: (+31) 30 2 440 550
Nederland / the Netherlands                 Fax: (+31) 30 2 440 700