How to get technical information?

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue May 20 13:39:00 CEST 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Peter Busser wrote:

> How does one get technical information from chipset manufacturers? I have
> searched the SiS and VIA web sites and found no documentation or pointers to
> documentation whatsoever. Or am I simply not looking well enough?

depends. developer.intel.com is a good site. You get about 98% of what you
need to do a bios on there, which is about 98% more than many vendors give
you.

Some examples:

Best vendors we've seen on this list:
micron. You ask for docs, you get Mbytes of pdf and other info.
AMD for the K8

Next best (i.e. you don't get 100 % but if you ask you might)
Intel (they've been very good in the last year)
SiS   (helped write good)
VIA   (sometimes good, but where is m-epia?)

Chipset vendors who have made it clear they have no plans to cooperate,
either in written or spoken communications:
serverworks
Nvidia

ron