[COMMIT] VGABIOS support for EPIA

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Mon May 26 02:32:00 CEST 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 05:46:18PM +0900, NEWBELL7 at magicn.com wrote:
> I get latest cvs today. Then I configure and compile  it for my EPIA.
> But ..it looks like that it doesn't work.
> I input my elf kernel like this.
>   dd if=kernel.elf of=/dev/hda1
> ( Because Maybe ... from debug message ... It looks like to find any elf
> image from sector 63 .. )
> Is it right ??
>
> When I use BOOT_IDE option, What does "payload command" do originally ?

Generally, with BOOT_IDE, payload does nothing but fill the flash part.
However, with my CONFIG_VGABIOS configuration, we use payload command
to store the VGABIOS binary in the flash.

As I said before, BOOT_IDE is unstable and does not always work.

You can make VGABIOS+Etherboot payload, to load VGABIOS *and*
boot Etherboot.
If your VGABIOS is 64K,

    cat video.bios.bin ide_disk.zelf >vgabios+etherboot.bin

this command puts VGABIOS at beginning and Etherboot at +64K
of the output file.
Then, config like this will let LinuxBIOS boot the Etherboot:

    payload vgabios+etherboot.bin
    option VGABIOS_START=0xfffc0000
    option ZKERNEL_START=0xfffd0000

To autmate the 'cat' step we need some hack to config file
but I haven't figured it out.

--
Takeshi