ELF binaries

Takeshi Sone ts1 at tsn.or.jp
Sat Nov 15 11:56:01 CET 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:35:02PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Xavier Pegenaute <xpegenaute at telepolis.es> [031114 15:44]:
> > is there any document of how to generate ELF binaries of programs made
> > by myself runnable by LinuxBios,Filo,Etherboto loading ELF binaries ?
>
> The binary has to be self contained, i.e use no external services. And
> it needs a defined entry point.. Stack setup and similar things are
> wishful but not necessary iirc.
>
> > For example:
> > LinuxBios + myprogram, or
> > LinuxBios + Filo + myprogram_from_dsk or
> > LinuxBios + etherboot + myprogram_from_X
> >
> > I was looking something in dietlibc but at the moment it does'nt work.
>
> dietlibc will probably not work since it uses system calls..

newlib might be used as a start point to build a libc replacement
for environment without OS.

However, the quick way I think is to use freebios/util/baremetal
or modifying FILO.

I once tried to build an MP3 player inside BIOS, by modifying FILO.
It succeeded to play an MP3 file from hard disk in 3-4 seconds from reset.
--
Takeshi