WD Caviar problem

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Oct 24 15:35:01 CEST 2003

> Added all of these, but it doesn't work yet..
>
> Also added ERR bit checking after PIO commands.
> None of the above causes ERR, but the first READ_SECTORS command does.
> (error register = 0x4, ABORT error)
>
> I noticed this Caviar drive works just fine under Linux
> (both 2.4 and 2.6-test), regardless of whether FILO touched it or not.

Takeshi-

I tried the same thing and I got the same result, and I also noticed the
error bit is set.  What is going on is very strange, but it does seem to
be related to initialization and startup.  I don't think it is the read
commands or status loops; I tried modifying these to match the old code
but got the same result.

-Steve