epia800 direct vga working

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Sun Sep 21 16:18:00 CEST 2003

SONE Takeshi wrote:

> Both HAVE_FRAMEBUFFER and VIDEO_CONSOLE set 0xB0 to register 0xFB
> in a default config (SMA_SIZE==8).
>
> With only this setting, if I run the factory VGABIOS, it does all
> the rest of configuation to VGA (and TV encoder also), and
> I can use epiafb, or even X, with TV-out, flawlessly.
>
> I don't touch GA registers, neither do VGABIOS.
>
> So I think the missing bit is in the VGA registers.

Hmmm... well if it is not the GA setup, then this could be more difficult.

I see that the epiafb is not a binary from via, as I was assuming, but
open source. So at least we can look at the code and see what they are
doing.  There are quite a number of extended function vga registers in
the epia, however, so it is hard to know which ones are important.

Probably the way to proceed on this is to take a snap of the vga
extended registers with Award, then boot with linuxbios and set some
registers to match Award that look promising, and each time try
insmod'ing the driver until it works.  This takes some simple C code to
set and read the various vga registers, which I have, so I will try this
when I get a chance.

-Steve