Can I execute a linuxbios image from linux?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Apr 2 13:05:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 07:36:32PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> for my hardware. The crucial thing is whether the BIOS chip is socketed
> or not. We'll see, at least I know the size is 2Mbit, since the latest
> BIOS binary (A6120IMS.200) supported by MSI is 261144kbyte. Does anybody
> have experience with removing a soldered chip on a motherboard without
> destroying anything?

Sure, both PLCC and DIL packages can be desoldered without any problems
as long as it's possible/easy to access the chip physically on the board.

(A PLCC ROM tucked in close to e.g. a PCI slot is more problematic..)

After desoldering the ROM, it's quite possible to fit a socket there
instead.

<shameless plug>
If you want professional help with this I'll gladly assist. I'm in Malmö.
</plug>

//Peter