Can I execute a linuxbios image from linux?

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 04:21:01 CEST 2004

On Saturday 03 April 2004 10:22 am, Svante Signell wrote:

> I thought the LinuxBIOS was parts from of a kernel. What size is needed?
> It seems that the flash sizes are 1,2 and 4 Mibit, at least for older
> boards. Have I missed something here?

LinuxBIOS is not the Linux kernel.   LinuxBIOS is boot code which gets
hardware working sufficiently to start a kernel.   Where that kernel is found
and booted from is your choice.   Some people put it on an IDE device (eg:
hard disk), some people use Compact Flash (which is basically an IDE
interface as well), some people use Disk On Chip (which can go in the Bios
socket on some motherboards), some people download it across a network...

You are correct that you cannot fit a Linux kernel into a BIOS chip.   However
LinuxBIOS is much smaller than that, and can load a kernel from several
locations depending on your hardware and your preference.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Your work is both good and original.  Unfortunately the parts that are good
aren't original, and the parts that are original aren't good.

 - Samuel Johnson

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.