2.6 kernel

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Apr 12 18:46:00 CEST 2004

Greg Lewis <glewis at lnxi.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> We're having a look at 2.6 kernels again.  Just curious if you have ever
> gotten any of the 2.6 kernels up and playing nice with etherboot and
> mkelfimage.  If so, I'd be interested in what versions of each you were
> using :).  Also, do we have a general method of verifying the validity of
> an EBi other than booting a node with it?  Thanks.

Yes.  I have had reports of people having problems but nothing confirmed.
I looked into it a while ago and I got it to work so I don't know how
to pursue further complaints.

mkelfImage 2.5
linux kernel 2.6.5rc3  (Which was the latest at the time I looked).
etherboot 5.2.2eb2 (The patches were to my build configuration)

Hmm. Make certain you have a known working binary version of mkelfImage.
A 2.4 kernel can verify that.

You can look at the ELF sections and suck out the compress kernel portion
at 1MB.  After accounting for the 16bit real mode section you can do
a binary compare of the kernel pieces.

There is the checksum which can be verified.  I believe FILO has a tool
to verify that.  I know it has a tool that will write it in user
space.

You can boot the kernel in another manner and see if that works.

Eric