ATI rage xl.init

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Apr 13 13:18:01 CEST 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> writes:

> * ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [040413 16:06]:
> > I might just need it for Plan 9 :-)
> >
> > So, much as I always disliked the idea of loading SCSI firmware, I might
> > want it now :-(
>
> SCSI firmware imho really belongs on the SCSI controller you put in. At
> least as long as we don't live in a world of perfect, intelligent and
> self-initializing hardware, this is the way of smallest trouble if we
> don't want to lock potential customers/users away. For onboard hardware
> this means we want a minimal set of drivers in LinuxBIOS, unfortunately.

If we can do it, I don't see a problem putting the code somewhere
in the motherboard BIOS.  Basically the LinuxBIOS mandate is to make
the hardware functional.

One thing to watch is that a LinuxBIOS driver is not really a driver
more of an initializer.

However there is no point in doing work that can be done elsewhere,
like probing a scsi or ide chain for devices.

Eric