ATI rage xl.init

Brian Maly bmaly at angstrom.com
Wed Apr 14 16:46:01 CEST 2004

Question about getting the ATI XLrage working...

I tried the new ati/xlrage driver on an arima/hdama. Linuxbios reports:

ati_regbase = 0xfd002400
ati_ragexl_init: 3D RAGE (XL PCI-33MHz) [0x4752 rev 0x27] Devices
initialized

Im then loading the atyfb.o framebuffer kernel module (I assume this is
the right one to use). The screen then does some init and switches to a
video mode the monitor seems happy with, but nothing but lines appear
(much like the lines you get when X doesnt recognize the video right)

Using fbset to change video modes does seem to work, the screen
resolution changes, but I cant use the fbdevice with any frame buffer
test programs or with X (the lines never go away).

Im trying:
 (1) to get the framebuffer working as the graphical console, and
 (2) get this working under X.

Is there some secret to getting this working? Maybe I am missing an
important step or something....

Also, Im assuming that in order to use the framebuffer as the console, I
can pass "vga = 792" and "video=atyfb:mode:1024x768,font:SUN12x22" to
linux when it boot.

Do I need to set CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA = 1 in Config.lb?

any help is appreciated.

-Regards, Brian