[BIOS] hot plug / cold plug

Mathieu Deschamps mdeschamps at mangrove-systems.com
Wed Apr 21 10:36:01 CEST 2004

Le mer 21/04/2004 à 16:57, Ronald G. Minnich a écrit :
> On 21 Apr 2004, Mathieu Deschamps wrote:
>
> >      half a millimeter between chip pins and a working motherboard :
> > what if i'am a bit stress and lift up badly the chip ? I got the
> > answer...
>
> ah! the problem!
>
> go to your friendly Radio Shack (I have seem them in France, is that your
> location?) and get the PLCC puller. It's a great cheap tool and it is
> almost IMPOSSIBLE to hurt anything with it!
	Well, I've just gone to their internet site a few minute ago.
	But you know now it has gone farther than a simple question a
	harm. It's a question of safety, and of comfort

> > 1. why not building a flash_rom util which could send bios code steam
> > via LTP, COM or USB, PCI  : the aim not to touch the "working" bios(even
> > though its not needed after boot time) . Plusvalue of this : Cold plug :
> > Make a backup copy for example
>
> It's a great idea but what are you going to hook that USB port to? a $400
> programmer, that's what. That's the problem.
	true.

> > 2. trying to disconnect/diswire bios socket from the up mainboard (that
> > is to say to get 0v on every pin of the socket) . Ideal view (mb
> > manufacturers !) : get a jumper to handle this
>
> I don't think you can get them to do it.
	I alone surely not ! If the demand exists the offer will
	except if them, don't want it, but why would they ?.
	It not new that the comfort of use and customization is a true
	plusvalue in computing and in electronics (hardware). Maybe it
	could appear to be just "tuning" but not only.

> 3 ... err .. run dry
>
> hot plug.
	I can't help thinking that working on same
        bios that went up is a bad idea (in ref of:
	never build in the source directory).
	Promise I stop doing my hammer head :)
	I'll stop bother with it :
	I'll go hot pluging because i've now understood
	there's no other alternative.