PVR with LinuxBIOS. What board is recommended? Some questions

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Apr 26 23:57:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:02:23AM +0200, Jochen Roemling wrote:
> Okay, this is still not quite understood: In order to be able to
> initialize the mainboard the mainline kernel has to be patched with some
> kind of boot-loader-from-DoC-thing. But where are the patches for 2.6?

All recent Linux kernels can handle the DoC via the MTD driver.  However, I
don't think many linuxbios developers are using the DoC anymore.  New
developments have enabled linuxbios to get the kernel from ide disks (eg
compactflash) and from an ethernet network.  If I were you I wouldn't go
the DoC route.

>And this EPIA pops up everywhere on PVR pages, but it has only 2
> PCI slots... very dificult to decide...

You should also be aware that the EPIA processors are not the fastest.  If
you use the PVR-350 and use its hardware MPEG2 compression and
decompression you should be ok.  But, if you try to use the epia's cpu to
compress and/or decompress you could hit the cpu limits.

-Kevin