Opteron / Tyan motherboard fault on boot.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Fri Aug 20 09:53:01 CEST 2004

* Dave Belfer-Shevett <dbs at stonekeep.com> [040820 16:35]:
> When I do a 'file' on the new image, I see:
>
> /tftpbot/vmlinuz-2.tyan: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
> 1 (SYSV), statically linked, corrupted section header size
>
> This image (bzImage) is an Opteron compiled kernel, which should be 64
> bit, unless there's no real difference in the elf header.
>
> Sorry if this is sounding pretty whiny - I'm under a lot of pressure to
> get this all going :)

The kernel normally switches from 16bit real mode to protected mode, and
from 32bit protected mode to 64bit long mode.

After applying mkelfImage, the resulting kernel image is a 32bit image
that switches to 64bit long mode itself. Since LinuxBIOS on Opteron is
32bit only, this is exactly what you want.

No idea what goes wrong with the section header size though..

Stefan