EPIA-M build problem for freebios2

Dan Sully daniel at electricrain.com
Sat Aug 28 02:25:01 CEST 2004

* Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> shaped the electrons to say...

>* ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [040827 22:41]:
>> > So first of all, it's not clear from any of the outdated documentation
>> > whether one should be using freebios or freebios2.
>
>Dan, the LinuxBIOS project can use a good explanation if you find time
>to write one.

Once I get everything working (and get back from Burning Man), I will.

>> > So, I'm jumping in and trying to use 2 - but getting this error:
>> >
>> > linuxbios_c.o(.data+0x1e4): undefined reference to `mainboard_via_epia_m_control'
>
>i made a small change to fix this. please go ahead and test it.

Thanks, that did the trick.

So I'm able to boot v1, but haven't been able to get vgabios working.

I've extracted it using the following command:

dd if=/proc/kcore of=vgabios.bin bs=1 count=65536 skip=790528

What's the current status of EPIA-M in V2 with VGA? Also - can someone clear
up in my head - is vgabios needed just for using the onboard CLE266 video? I
actually have either an NVidia or ATI card I'd prefer to use.

Thanks.

Here's my v1 config (based off of Dmitri's) - can someone please double check it?

#
# LinuxBIOS config file for: VIA epia-m mini-itx
#

target /home/dsully/src/freebios/build

# via epia
mainboard via/epia-m

# Enable Serial Console for debugging
option SERIAL_CONSOLE=1
option TTYS0_BAUD=115200
option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=0
option MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=9
option DEBUG=0
option HAVE_FRAMEBUFFER=1
#option VIDEO_CONSOLE=1
option CONFIG_UDELAY_TIMER2=1
option SMA_SIZE=32
option VGA_HARDWARE_FIXUP=1

# Use 256KB Standard Flash as Normal BIOS
option RAMTEST=1
option USE_GENERIC_ROM=1
option STD_FLASH=1
#option ZKERNEL_START=0xfffd0000
option ROM_SIZE=262144

# payload size = 192KB
option PAYLOAD_SIZE=196608

# use ELF Loader to load Etherboot
option USE_ELF_BOOT=1

# Use Etherboot as our payload
payload /home/dsully/src/filo-0.4.2/filo.elf

# the logo is displayed for VIDEO_SHOW_LOGO seconds.
# beginning (0xfffe0000)
option VIDEO_SHOW_LOGO=10
#option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=131072
option PCX_FILE_LOCATION=0xfffd0000
option LOGOFILE=$(TOP)/src/pc80/linuxbioslogo.pcx
addaction romimage dd if=$(LOGOFILE) of=romimage bs=65540 seek=1 conv=notrunc;
addaction romimage python -c "import struct,sys; f=open('$(LOGOFILE)','rb'); f.seek(0,2); sys.stdout.write(struct.pack('i',f.tell()));" | dd of=romimage bs=65536 seek=1 conv=notrunc

option CONFIG_VGABIOS=1
option CONFIG_REALMODE_IDT=1
dir src/bioscall
option CONFIG_PCIBIOS=1
option VGABIOS_START=0xfffe0000
option USE_ELF_BOOT=1

addaction romimage dd if=../vgabios.bin of=romimage bs=65536 seek=2 conv=sync conv=notrunc

-D
--
"You can usually recover from production flaws...but you can never recover from a bad design".