booting slow

Dave Aubin daubin at
Wed Dec 15 03:26:00 CET 2004

Seen this when interrupts in irq.c were wrong based on
The motherboard.  In our case we'd use etherboot to
Load the kernel (which doesn't handle interrupts) then
Once kernel was loaded we'd see the problem.  This
Was fixed by fixing the irq table.

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxbios-admin at
[mailto:linuxbios-admin at] On Behalf Of Ronald G. Minnich
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:20 PM
To: Gin
Cc: 'LinuxBIOS'
Subject: RE: booting slow

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Gin wrote:

> The serial interrupt? Shouldn't it be easy like assigning it an irq?
> What other causes that you've found out? One possibility I can think
> of is the cache. It was turned off.

well, that was the other possibility I was going to mention, on our
first tries at smp four years ago we'd see things run fast until the
other SMP CPU got turned on, then run slow. Turns out the cache was only
enabled on one cpu ...

Linuxbios mailing list
Linuxbios at