OpenFirmware and interrupt-map

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Feb 4 13:31:01 CET 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:23:17AM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>
> > If the concept of having a diversity of hardware architectures available
> > is going to survive, there has to be a generic solution to the early
> > initialization issues.
>
> I agree completely. It is sad that the generic solution so far is x86
> instructions.

Actually, I think the generic solution has been to not use option roms at
all.  :-)  After all, most cards don't use them (VGA being the notable
exception).

Frankly, if I had any pull with manufactures or vendors, I'd try to
convince them to avoid option roms instead of trying to convince them to
support a different option rom format.

Having cards that conform to standards (or can emulate them during bootup)
will be a lot more productive IMO, then a cross platform byte code.

-Kevin