OpenFirmware and interrupt-map

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Feb 4 14:32:00 CET 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tarl Neustaedter wrote:

> Actually, my understanding is that the multi-megabyte flash is only
> required for the IA-64 implementation. The IA-32 implementation of EFI
> from some vendors is reported to fit comfortably in 1MB.

that may change when people start to use it, not sure. Some of the Intel
boards we got recently had really large flash parts.

> One thing we've discovered recently is that the x86 firmware world
> is rife in rumors, FUD, and propaganda. It's pretty startling.

it's pretty weird. I've gotten all kinds of strange stuff from different
places :-)

> It certainly looks good; they seem to have learned a bunch of lessons
> from the OpenFirmware experience. Unfortunately, we got stopped by
> license issues - to go any further than just the basic spec, there is a
> "click to agree" license button on the web page which our legal team
> told us not to click.

and that's the way it will stay, I'm told. I'm unhappy with a bios that
needs CHKDSK in any event.

ron