Build problem - %rdx used with `l' suffix

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Feb 4 22:01:00 CET 2004

Tarl Neustaedter <Tarl.Neustaedter at sun.com> writes:

> Back in september, there was a message about a fix to romcc for AMD64,
> which would cure the error:

-m32 if you are compiling on a 64bit system.  I think that is the
problem.

So far LinuxBIOS is 32bit, and this is certainly a 32bit versus 64bit
issue.  I don't recognize the symptoms.

> /tmp/ccLriZXb.s:243: Error: Incorrect register `%rdx' used with `l' suffix
>
> As it happens, I'm getting that error building arima/hdama from
> an Opteron (it was suggested as a good starting point for a working
> prom that I could branch off from). It looks like the code in romcc
> has changed enough that the fix doesn't directly apply, and there was
> some doubt as to whether that was the necessary fix. Is there something
> else I should be doing to avoid this error?

The filenames are wrong for this to be something generated with romcc.
romcc is just for the code that runs before we have memory.  Keeping
everything in registers is a pain, but it is very convenient to be
able to do it all in C.

Eric