ATI gets a clue.

ron minnich rminnich at
Mon Feb 9 18:51:00 CET 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Terry Blunt wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I can never understand hardware
> manufacturers being cagey about their specs. I would have thought it would
> save them a lot of hassle if they *didn't* have to write drivers themselves.

2 reasons. First, somebody might steal their ideas. Evidently this

The second is really complicated, but works like this. Suppose you create
and design feature X into your chipset. You might find, via a lawsuit,
that feature X is patented by company Y. I've talked to vendors who would
like to open their hardware but are scared to do so for this very reason
-- they might have designed a patented feature into their hardware without
realizing it.