64bit intel exentions to ia32

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Feb 17 17:30:01 CET 2004

Li-Ta Lo wrote:

> I don't want to read the book. Is it the same as AMD's ?

 From the Intel FAQ:

Q9: Is it possible to write software that will run on Intel's processors
with 64-bit extension technology, and AMD's 64-bit capable processors?

A9: With both companies designing entirely different architectures, the
question is whether the operating system and software ported to each
processor will run on the other processor, and the answer is yes in most
cases. However, Intel processors support additional features, like the
SSE3 instructions and Hyper-Threading Technology, which are not
supported on non-Intel platforms. As such, we believe developers will
achieve maximum performance and stability by designing specifically for
Intel architectures and by taking advantage of Intel's breadth of
software tools and enabling services.

-Bari