ide emulation based on network block device for arbitrary OSes?

Adam Megacz adam at
Fri Jan 2 06:08:01 CET 2004

I'd like to run Win2k server on a diskless box.  I (unfortunately)
need to have a Win2k server box around for testing an app that we
develop on Linux but need to (occasionally) deploy on Windows.  It's
headless, so I just RDP in when I need to test stuff out.

I guess I'm interested in the diskless aspect not to save the cost of
a hard drive, but just because I like having all my hard disks in one
machine.  All my linux boxen boot off the network and mount their root
partition off of a (very, very fast) RAID-5 array.  So they all get
four-spindle speed instead of single-spindle speed.

  - a