LinuxBIOS questions

ron minnich rminnich at
Thu Jan 22 11:20:01 CET 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Armijn Hemel wrote:

> for the Dutch Linux Magazine ( I'm writing an
> article about open source hardware and LinuxBIOS is one of the projects
> I will mention. I have a question which does not seem to be answered
> in the FAQ.

no, we reprogram machines all the time without yanking the flash or
inserting ZIF. We just reprogrammed linuxbios on a 1024-node cluster,
for example, and we did not yank any parts. BUT, you'd better have a
working linuxbios for that system! You have to test it on a development

> Do I really need to remove the normal BIOS from a machine, insert a ZIF
> socket, etc.?

No, but the FLASH process will replace that BIOS with linuxbios.

Sorry about your Dell, but Dell has been very unwilling to help, so I
don't think it will work.