Replacement for console level access on ALPHAs

Andy Pearce andy.pearce at austrocontrol.at
Thu Jan 22 11:23:01 CET 2004

We currently run a set of systems that operator on DEC Alpha machines, these
provide
a console level access which we use to configure a machine remotely via the
console
port. Plans are afoot to migrate the systems running on the Alphas to PC (HP
xw4100 machines),
we will still however have the requirement to access and manage the machines
when the
main OS is down, select which kernel versions should be run etc.

Based on what I have read about Linux Bios it seems it would be perfect for
this task.

Does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of the HP xw4100s motherboard
being able to
support LinuxBios.

Many thanks

Andy Pearce