CPU refactoring status....

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Jul 7 22:31:00 CEST 2004

ebiederman at lnxi.com (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

> The next big task is to get make the SMP cpu initialization methods
> normal device tree methods.  I have everything ready to do that
> except I need a good way to get the information in the struct
> mem_range array by sizeram().   My gut feel is that I want to
> incorporate the sizeram functionality into the resource allocator,

Moving sizeram into read_resources/set_resources comes out fairly
clean, but it did require some grunt work.

That has allowed me to sort out the device tree and have a fairly
generic method of initializing cpus.  Cpus don't fit into device
model methods as nicely as I would like (largely because their
methods have to run on the cpu in question).  But it does work
well enough I can remove the special case from hardwaremain.
I still have a special case in the root_device methods but
that can be overridden, if necessary.

    Because I have restructured where things fall in the device tree.
    Because I have removed the sizeram call.
    Because I have refactored x86 cpu handling.
    Because I have removed the array initial_apic_id.

Every port in the tree is likely to break when I check this code in.

I have the arima/hdama working and I can with a little care
fix up the k8 based ports.

I can also likely fixup the recent e7501 forward port from the
freebios tree.

However beyond that I don't have testing resources to fix things up
so I am looking for some feedback before I break everything.

When in the next week or so is a good time?

Does any one have concerns about this set of changes?

I have attached my current version of hardwaremain below
to give a feel of what the changes look like.

Ok now I am off to bed.  Before I commit anything I am going to let
the code sit a little.

Good Night,

 * C Bootstrap code for the LinuxBIOS

#include <console/console.h>
#include <mem.h>
#include <version.h>
#include <boot/tables.h>
#include <device/device.h>
#include <device/pci.h>
#include <device/chip.h>
#include <delay.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <part/hard_reset.h>
#include <boot/elf.h>

void hardwaremain(int boot_complete)
	/* the order here is a bit tricky. We don't want to do much of
	 * anything that uses config registers until after PciAllocateResources
	 * since that function also figures out what kind of config strategy
	 * to use (type 1 or type 2).
	 * so we turn on cache, then worry about PCI setup, then do other
	 * things, so that the other work can use the PciRead* and PciWrite*
	 * functions.
	struct lb_memory *lb_mem;

	/* displayinit MUST PRECEDE ALL PRINTK! */
	printk_notice("LinuxBIOS-%s%s %s %s...\n",
		linuxbios_version, linuxbios_extra_version, linuxbios_build,

	/* If we have already booted attempt a hard reboot */
	if (boot_complete) {

	init_timer(); /* needs to be moved into static configuration */

	/* pick how to scan the bus. This is first so we can get at memory size. */
	printk_info("Finding PCI configuration type.\n");
	/* Now do the real bus.
	 * We round the total ram up a lot for thing like the SISFB, which
	 * shares high memory with the CPU.

	/* Now that we have collected all of our information
	 * write our configuration tables.
	lb_mem = write_tables();