ADLO: linuxbios v1 hangs after jumping to boot code at 0x7c00

Simon Xin Cheng scheng at msica.com
Tue Jul 20 19:23:00 CEST 2004

Richard Smith wrote:

> Simon Xin Cheng wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them, however, the system still
>> hangs
>> when jumping to boot code at 0x7c00.
>>
>> Right now I suspect that something wrong with loder.s. My question is
>> how
>> to debug loader.s? Thanks again.
>

> The most likely problem is that your shadowing is not working.
>
> Right after loader finishes copying to ram and you have enabled reads
> to be routed to RAM dump the first few bytes from 0x7c00 and dump them
> out the seial port and make sure things really got copied to RAM.

Richard,

Thanks for your help on ADLO. I tried to trace loader.s, and have
following problems:
1.
Before
sti
jmp 0xFFFF:0x0000
I can print out something. But right after sti, I can not print out
anything. So, I am not sure that the code really jumps to the power on
entry point.

2. The first 16 bytes after 0xF0000 after shadowing are the same as
rombios.bin. However, when I tried to print out more bytes, I can only
get 16 output. What is the problem? My code is right after copy bios to
0xF0000:

mov ax, #0x10
mov ds, ax
mov eax, #0xF0000