Was a newbie, now a polliwog

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Sun Jul 25 22:23:00 CEST 2004

Thomas Fritz wrote:

> There's a PDF file on the tiny-linux site, which has a descriptions of
> results - with a 2.6 kernel with more features than I'd need, the writer
> says that he got it as small as a compressed 363K image, and a user
> reported a compressed image as small as 191K.

Thats very encouraging.  I wonder what was enabled in the 191Kib
version.  191+64 is just enough for those people with 256Kib flashes.

> This is all very interesting, but while I have 512K to work in right
> now, I have no idea how much space linuxbios needs.  Also, keep in mind
> I'm going to be trying to cross-compile for the PowerPC...does the same
> code need more bytes or fewer bytes?

In my current LB1 setup that does not netboot:

LB   = 60Kib
ADLO = 136Kib

By the time they run through the script the whole thing ends up being
228Kib but I have my settings so that the smallest alignment is like 64k
or so.  I don't remember exactly so I've got wasted space.

I have no idea how the PPC code compares to x86.  I've cc: this to the
list perhaps some PPC person can comment.

I think V2 is much larger due to the use of romcc but I don't have any
hard info on that as I haven't made the jump yet.