Large mmio resources and 4G+ of RAM...

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 1 16:02:01 CEST 2004

On 1 Jun 2004, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:
>
> > just FYI, making BARS live above the 32-bit limit will break every single
> > linux cluster here at LANL, and will also disable Plan 9.
>
> Only for the hardware where the BARs move.

guess I missed something in your writeup. Are you saying that moving all
BARs above 2^32 won't cause trouble for a 32-bit mode linux or freebsd or
plan 9 or ...

> > With BARS under the 32-bit limit, you can boot anything. With BARS above
> > that limit, you immediately limit what you can boot.
>
> Yes.  And largely I see that as a good thing.

But do the potential users of linuxbios systems that as a good thing? I
understand the motivation, but sometimes customers (including us) do silly
things, such as run K8s in 32-bit mode (it's actually a good thing as a K8
is a better Xeon than a Xeon, at least for our programs).

As long as it is an option I don't mind however.

> > In principle, I like your BAR fix, but setting up BARS that are optimized
> > for 64-bit kernels should be a (normally disabled)  option.
>
> For old clusters I agree that it should be normally disabled.

for our new cluster (Lightning) first boot is into 32-bit linux for now,
and will likely stay that way for a while as that system runs as 32-bits
(not my decision ...)

This change can hurt new clusters.

ron