=?gb2312?b?tPC4tA==?=: Large mmio resources and 4G+ of RAM...

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Jun 1 23:30:01 CEST 2004

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> Then in LinuxBIOS We can access the memory in 64 bit mode directly.

We already do, on the Opteron.

> And
> maybe do the memory check and test. Memory problem is a big problem in
> system integration.

Unless you spend days at it you cannot do a good memory check/test.
I don't want to wait days while my system boots.  A cursory check
That verifies the memory doesn't totally suck is ok.  But I don't
want to see anything that conveys the impression that LinuxBIOS
has actually checked the memory.

The best tests I know of involve monitoring for ECC errors while
the system is being stressed.

> Some time 8 ways system, every cpu has 4 dimm, total memay will be
> 4G*4*8=128G.

I'm not certain you can plug that many 4G dimms into an Opteron.  At the
very least they are a challenge to come by...

As for setting up and debugging memory the first system with LinuxBIOS
on the Opteron Lighting had 6TB of ram...

Eric