Using Cache As Ram for K8

Tony Cheng tony_cheng at pcmagic.net
Thu Jun 24 13:06:00 CEST 2004

It's great to hear that AMD CPU allow software to access Cache, it's
absolutely not allowed in the Intel CPU which I just finish working on.

I guess you must turned off cache completely and CPUs are not prefetching,
snooping and ete. before you use it as memory, right? I'm not that
knowledgable at this point with AMD Opteron. but this is pretty intrigueing.
I will try it someday, I hope AMD supports this type of use. In another
word, AMD will not scew up the cache data software saved at the background
and SW saving data to it doesn't impact CPU function.

I'm really try to ask you about another question, you have mentioned the AMD
Serenade Mainboard, Do you have the LinuxBIOS source code for this AMD
Serenade Mainboard? I couldn't find it in the Sorceforge CVS. (Only AMD Solo
and Quatet are available there)

I have a Tyan board, and Yh gave me some latest code which works great. But
Tyan doesn't have a HDT Header. AMD Serenade will be a good chioce for us to
try some our code and watch it using an American Arium.

Thanks

Tony