[Fwd: Re: DiskOnChip Questions]

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jun 25 12:05:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Hendricks David W. wrote:

> LinuxBIOS does not have its own kernel. The way it usually works is either
> LinuxBIOS boots a kernel from flash or LinuxBIOS boots a payload (eg FILO
> or Etherboot) which then boots a kernel. LinuxBIOS is its own entity in
> either case.

I should jump in here and mention that the intent of the project, when we
started, was: Linux == BIOS, i.e. LinuxBIOS.

The shrinking flash parts changed our plans but not the name.

I would still prefer, overall, to have kept linux in the flash as the real
BIOS, but that is impossible on many platforms; hence the 'payload'
concept.

ron