LinuxBIOS and Win2K

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Jun 28 17:36:00 CEST 2004

Adam Sulmicki <adam at cfar.umd.edu> writes:

> the idea we toyed with was a generic callback which would enable this
> specific feature... still it was somewhat tricky given that ADLO
> sometimes loads itself over the LinuxBIOS

For V2 every port I have done has simply left those areas enabled
as RAM, which obviates the need for any call backs.

That code is not motherboard specific it is cpu/chipset specific,
which is something else entirely.

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Richard Smith wrote:
>
> > Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >
> > > There are a few rough edges with ADLO currently.  (For some reason it
> > > has some motherboard specific code.)  So in doing a production
> > > deployment you will be breaking ground.
> >
> > The motherboard specific code is to enable and disable the shadowing
> > control when ADLO copies itself and the vbios to RAM.  So to do this in
> > a generic manner LB would have to have to provide a payload with a
> > method of doing this.

What I was thinking of was things like pirq tables.  I seem to recall
those still being hard coded.

> > If you got any ideas I might be able to scratch up some time to
> > implement them.  It would be for V1 though I don't do V2 yet.

Any significant changes like always leaving the shadow areas enabled,
we can easily implement in both v1 and v2.  And things like
pirq tables can be copied from wherever LinuxBIOS puts them.  If it
would help we can place pointers to the information in the LinuxBIOS table
to make things easier to deal with.

My basic point in all of this is that there were some rough area's
but nothing that be overcome with time.

Eric