EPIA-M "Magic Potion"?

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Mon Mar 29 01:15:01 CEST 2004

Thank you, Dmitry. Your patches seem to fix a lot of my remaining
problems.

The kernel patch to make viafb work as compiled-in gets a framebuffer
going very soon after the kernel loads. I extended it a little bit to
allow for full selection of all module parameters from the kernel
commandline. I guess since it didn't work, nobody ever used the kernel
commandline params :) The vga stuff is now working perfectly except for
hardware-assisted.

The other thing that fixed a lot of issues is that I switched to an
earlier vga bios (extracted from bios v1.10F). I was trying to use the
latest one released with BIOS version 1.13 and it seems to not work
correctly. I'm going to try again now that I have some other stuff
working to verify that this is the case. Something bad running in the
1.13 vga bios I believe could have been the cause of my IRQ issues,
which are solved for the moment as well.

Whenever I can make the dust clear, I'll create a diff for CVS including
either amending the existing HOWTO with the information I have learned
or creating a new one especially for EPIA-M. I'll also include the viafb
patch from Dmitry + my extra changes in kernel-patches.

The final three non-memory related problems I'm looking at are:

1) trying to load the agpgart module hangs the system
2) applications hang when accessing the hardware clock
3) via_v4l_drv (hardware MPEG acceleration) wants to be loaded before
viafb in order to work unfortunately

Again, thanks everyone!

John