A bit OT: external equipment for writing...

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 07:04:00 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 1:09 pm, Vic Berdin wrote:

> Hi,
> This maybe the wrong list to post this but since you guys are into
> the field of creating your own BIOSware, I would like to ask if
> anyone knows of a device or equipment (connected via stadard PC port)
> that may be used in order to write data into a BIOS chip?

BIOS chips are standard flash parts - a commercial flash programmer will do
the job (but don't expect such a machine to be cheap).

Failing that, you could try using the DOS-based flash programming utility
provided by the vendor of your motherboard?   That can write new BIOS images
into the chip (in-place on the motherboard) - it's worth seeing if it'll
write an arbitrary binary file for you.

Also, the MTD utilities may be able to help you out.

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me,
because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some
things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we
don't know we don't know."

 - Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defence

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.