A bit OT: external equipment for writing...

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 07:04:00 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 1:09 pm, Vic Berdin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This maybe the wrong list to post this but since you guys are into
> the field of creating your own BIOSware, I would like to ask if
> anyone knows of a device or equipment (connected via stadard PC port)
> that may be used in order to write data into a BIOS chip?

BIOS chips are standard flash parts - a commercial flash programmer will do
the job (but don't expect such a machine to be cheap).

Failing that, you could try using the DOS-based flash programming utility
provided by the vendor of your motherboard?   That can write new BIOS images
into the chip (in-place on the motherboard) - it's worth seeing if it'll
write an arbitrary binary file for you.

Also, the MTD utilities may be able to help you out.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me,
because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

 - Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defence

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.