Non-x86 Video

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed May 5 17:07:00 CEST 2004

Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> writes:

> ron minnich wrote:
>
> > we are working on putting the emulator into linuxbios as an optional
> > component. Once this is done, I think the prognosis is good. We've gotten
> > distracted by fixing other things needed to support the emulator.
>
> What will be needed to run video on non-x86? The oem videoBIOS plus an 8086
> emulator for when videoBIOS calls are made?

For hardware that is not on a plugin card it will likely be an ATI Rage XL
or a simlar low end chip and we can get the docs to initialize it.  YhLu
and Stefan have already accomplished that for the ATI Rage XL, and that linuxbios
driver should have no arch dependencies.

For a plugin card we need to run the boot rom just to initialize the card.  After
that all of the standard Linux code should work.

Eric