Hibernation?

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Fri May 14 10:31:00 CEST 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 4:36 pm, lbios_kk at redfenix.com wrote:

> I'm not necessarily talking about handling a suspend or low-power mode.
> I'm talking about copying the memory to disk, then powering off.  Then,
> upon power-on next time, reload the memory state, re-init peripherals and
> go!

I can't help feeling that it's a bit simplistic to just say "re-init
peripherals" like that.   Some peripherals can have quite a complex state
associated with them, and just re-initialising them as though you were
starting from power-up may not make the O/S happy when it finds itself back
in control after the hibernation is over?

There has to be some O/S involvement in going into, and returning from,
hibernation mode - the question for LinuxBIOS is "how much of a task is left
over once you take out what the Linux kernel can already do for itself?"

Regards,

Antony.

--
Microsoft may sell more software than any other company, but McDonald's sell
more burgers than any other company, and I think the other similarities are

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.