Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Fri May 14 10:31:00 CEST 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 4:36 pm, lbios_kk at redfenix.com wrote:

> I'm not necessarily talking about handling a suspend or low-power mode.
> I'm talking about copying the memory to disk, then powering off.  Then,
> upon power-on next time, reload the memory state, re-init peripherals and
> go!

I can't help feeling that it's a bit simplistic to just say "re-init
peripherals" like that.   Some peripherals can have quite a complex state
associated with them, and just re-initialising them as though you were
starting from power-up may not make the O/S happy when it finds itself back
in control after the hibernation is over?

There has to be some O/S involvement in going into, and returning from,
hibernation mode - the question for LinuxBIOS is "how much of a task is left
over once you take out what the Linux kernel can already do for itself?"

Microsoft may sell more software than any other company, but McDonald's sell
more burgers than any other company, and I think the other similarities are

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.