tyan S2850 - optimal performance

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sun Nov 7 14:59:00 CET 2004

"Sagiv Yefet" <sagivy at 3vium.com> writes:

> Hello,
>   I have the TYAN s2850 board and I am running with Linux bios.
>   I want to use it in optimal performance.
>   Are there any parameters that I could change?
>   Does someone know about the optimal parameters in TYAN S2850 board?

Most of the options are options to lower the performance to help
track down bad hardware.

If you have 4GiB or more of RAM in the machine and are running a 64bit kernel
there are a few cases where the resource layout can be improved
depending on what hardware you have plugged in.

And if you have PCI-X cards it was recently brought to my attention
that we are not optimizing that bus to the fullest extent possible.

All of those things are currently on my TODO list and should be fixed
shortly.  And they are all Opteron board independent.

Beyond that using things like PC3200 memory and a recent cpu should
are more likely to increase performance.

Given that one of the largest LinuxBIOS markets is in high performance
computing it would be silly to deliberately leave something suboptimal.

Eric