recent changes

YhLu YhLu at
Mon Nov 15 13:12:01 CET 2004

According to my experience.

Chip ...
		Device.... end
		Device ... end

And "Config chip.h"

The static.c will be produced according to the in MB dir.

All device under that chip will share one chip_operation, and the
chip_operation will contain one enable_dev member. It will link and enable
static that can not be done via pci function....

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Watson [mailto:gwatson at]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 11:26 AM
To: LinuxBIOS
Subject: recent changes

We now seem to have a chip keyword, in addition to config, device,
driver and object keywords. We have a device_operations structure, a
cpu_device_id structure and a cpu_driver structure as well as a
pci_driver structure. The cpu tree has been reorganized to include
vendor directories as well as architecture directories. We now seem to
have a drivers directory tree.

Can someone please provide the following information:

1. What does each keyword actually do now?

2. How do the keywords relate to the data structures?

3. What files are now auto generated, and how is everything linked

4. What keywords/data structures are actually needed, and by which

5. How/where are the data structures used?

6. What is the rationale behind the reorganization of the cpu tree, and
how is it supposed to work?

7. What is the purpose of the drivers tree, how do drivers differ from
devices, and why is the console not included?

The configuration process now seems so complicated that  I can't see
how we could expect someone to port to a new board without some basic
description of how everything is supposed to work. I have a major
vendor interested in doing this, but at the moment I can't offer them
any help.

Linuxbios mailing list
Linuxbios at