Adding a PCI device that doesn't exist (yet)

Jay Miller jmiller at
Tue Oct 5 13:22:00 CEST 2004

Hi All,

The PCI interface to our "special sauce" is an FPGA that we're
programming after the OS boots.  The hardware doesn't have PCI hot-plug
support, which means we're forced to reboot after programming in order
to re-enumerate the bus in BIOS.  Or are we?

I was thinking of replacing the default scan_bus method with one that
calls the default method for most devices and inserts the non-existent
device information into the table at the appropriate time.

Has anyone been successful at this sort of thing?

Jay Miller
Actuality Systems, Inc.
jmiller at