Adding a PCI device that doesn't exist (yet)

YhLu YhLu at
Tue Oct 5 13:57:01 CEST 2004

Can you for the FPGA programming in the auto.c and issue an soft_reset in

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Miller [mailto:jmiller at]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 11:39 AM
To: linuxbios at
Subject: Adding a PCI device that doesn't exist (yet)

Hi All,

The PCI interface to our "special sauce" is an FPGA that we're
programming after the OS boots.  The hardware doesn't have PCI hot-plug
support, which means we're forced to reboot after programming in order
to re-enumerate the bus in BIOS.  Or are we?

I was thinking of replacing the default scan_bus method with one that
calls the default method for most devices and inserts the non-existent
device information into the table at the appropriate time.

Has anyone been successful at this sort of thing?

Jay Miller
Actuality Systems, Inc.
jmiller at

Linuxbios mailing list