Makefile changes for symbols

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Oct 26 05:28:00 CEST 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> writes:

> * Li-Ta Lo <ollie at lanl.gov> [041025 21:26]:
> > > All I know is that displaying memory with seg:offset was always a problem
> > > for me, so I tried to keep it at physical addressing.
> >
> > BTW, the ht reset confused the AMD HDT such that I have no way to
> > debug anything other the auto.c. Is AA as stupid ?
>
> Now that A stepping CPUs start dying out, could we not switch the reset
> mechanism to use LDTSTOP instead of a complete reset?
> It's more solid and a lot faster.

Solid?  There are several errata with using LDTSTOP and you can not use it after
memory is initialized.

As for performance now that we have removed the earlier unnecessary cache invalidations
that killed performance there is no noticeable speed penalty.

So far I have not seen a reason to use LDTSTOP, or a win by doing so.  Perhaps
when we get as far as hotplug hypertransport that will be a win.

Eric