status information

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Oct 29 18:16:01 CEST 2004

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 linuxbios at mikebell.org wrote:
>
> > -mm only right now, I believe (don't recall it showing up on bkbits).
> > But I seem to recall that Andrew Morton is close to pushing it through
> > to Linus's tree.
>
> once it's in we're going to stop worrying about kmonte any more :-)
>
> but kmonte is not the reason we use CF. Driver size of stuff like myrinet
> and infiniband and quadrics is. Our big clusters only have ethernet on
> 1/16 of hte nodes.

To be clear.  The syscall number is reserved in the stable tree.
The -mm tree is the current linux development tree.  So the code is
in.  The ramifications of how to integrate kexec on panic for
crash dumps are currently being worked through.  Once the implications
for implementation are understood kexec and the implementation is good
the code will land in the stable kernel.

So if  there is any feedback that needs to happen before the syscall
interface becomes immutable now is the time to give it.

As for size, the beoboot userland is one of the reasons why you are
still using CF.  But that can be tuned.

Eric