use ramdisk as root file system

Dave Aubin daubin at
Fri Sep 3 07:49:00 CEST 2004

Here is a good way to do initramfs.  Initramfs becomes part of the
kernel and
Then executes it's programs in user space which makes things nice.  But
Are other advantages as well.  Feel free to read these while on the

For my needs initramfs is a life saver, but initrd is good too.  Heck
you could
Go NFS if you wish.

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxbios-admin at
[mailto:linuxbios-admin at] On Behalf Of zhu shi song
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 6:53 AM
To: linuxbios at
Subject: use ramdisk as root file system

I now can boot my QDIA6T(vt8601/vt82c686b) MB using hard disk as root
file system though there is no vga turned on.  But I don't need HD. I
hope I can mount RAMDisk as my root filesystem which can be read and
written.  How should I do to start such work?  I have read some material
about initrd but I don't understand it very clearly.

Do you Yahoo!?
Linuxbios mailing list
Linuxbios at