Allocateing resouces for PCI expansion roms... (was 440bx VGA probs)

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Sep 8 19:40:00 CEST 2004

Richard Smith <rsmith at bitworks.com> writes:

> ron minnich wrote:
>
> >>ENABLE_VBIOS_SHADOW_C000
> > yes, that name is fine. The issue is that the handling of that option (in V1)
> > would be done in code in northbridge.c for almost every chipset we support in
> > v1
>
> I don't understand.  Shadowing is chipset specific and would have to be done for
> all chipsets in v1 or v2.  Putting it in the chipsets northbridge.c is way
> better than having to modify and keep a special version of ADLO's loader.s thats
> only works for one specfic chipset.

Enabling everything as memory except the legacy vga bios hole should
be done.  On an Intel chipset it should just be properly setting
the PAM register.

Unless there is a good reason not to every chipsets northbridge should
do this.  And there is no reason to make it conditional.

> But who said anything about doing it for all chipsets in v1?  Ther are only a
> few of us that are trying to use ADLO. Let those who desire this add the
> necessary code.

Agreed.

> All this does is provide an nice easy method of getting the vbios into C000.
> Rather than the multi-step method of boot card in machine with COTS bios, copy
> bios to file, add file to the ADLO build, rebuild linuxbios, boot card under
> linuxbios+adlo.

As for the copy that is something different.

ADLO should really look at the pci options roms and do the appropriate
thing, so if LinuxBIOS can reserve a hole in the memory address space
to map the ROM into, ADLO should do the rest.

That way ADLO can support all options ROMS.

Eric