amdk8_scan_chains() questions

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Sep 22 21:14:01 CEST 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> writes:

> * Liu Tao <liutao at safe-mail.net> [040922 04:57]:
> >    I googled some results of amdk8 linuxbios, and seems
> > after dev_enumerate() AMD8111 is not at bus0. So does
> > it mean when we are running from the BIOS ROM the
> > IO HUB must be at bus0, and when we are running in RAM
> > the bus number doesn't matter?

Yes.  So long as linux can find it.  We just put it at
bus 0 as convenience so we can find it easily.

Putting the hypertransport chains on their own bus is clearer
reflection of reality than putting extra devices on bus 0.

> I think to remember that Linux wants the IO Hub to hang off bus 0 as
> well. Which is why some ports reversed the probe order to achieve this.
> Maybe there is a more correct and generic solution to this?

As for linux so long as it can find the bus everything is
good.  Mostly that is a matter of putting the bus in the pirq
table so linux will know about the bus.

Eric