[LinuxBIOS] Geode in Linuxbios v2

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:59:57 CEST 2005

> I have noticed in v2 that there is a completely different code interface to
> the stream stuff, and rather than patching broken code, maybe it is a good
> idea to look at moving the working GX1 code to v2.

It's not just a good idea its _required_.  No active development has
been going on in the V1 tree for a long time which means none of the
linuxbios developers have been working with that code.

V2 is better than V1 in almost all cases.  And where its not it needs
to be fixed.
V1 is a dead end street.  Its deprecated and largely unsupported.

So if you want any real support from most of the developers on this
list you will have to move to V2.

Now thats not to say we won't answer questions about v1 its just most
of the developers haven't looked at that code in a long while and we
forget easily.

Now unfortunately there still isn't much info on porting to V2.
There's lots of stuff on the wiki but not much with starting a low
level port.

The only real documentation is the V2 code.  If you want I can send
you my 440bx patch for V2 which only has the raw framework in it.  If
you model your port after whats done in that patch you will get a V2
framework that will boot and display serial stuff (once you add
support for your serial ports).  You will then have to do all the RAM
init, etc. but that should be enough to get you started.

--
Richard A. Smith